Thursday, April 1, 2010

What I learned about life from refinishing my front door

I have no idea what possessed me to even take on the arduous task of staining and refinishing my front door. Ok, I'll fess up....$$$ oh, and that my hubby said I couldn't! Over the last year or so, I have made it my mission to tackle DIY projects. Today shrouded in the warm rays of spring, I busted out the sander, paints and a drive to succeed.

My hard work payed off but turned out to be a much larger scale project than I anticipated and just like my door was caked in layers of frustration and resolve. In the end, the door turned out beautifully. I celebrated by downing two beers and stood in the middle of the street to admire my handy work. I was struck by a deeper parallel to refinishing my door and life's little lessons. Here is what I learned:

Lesson # 1 Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone of knowledge.


Lesson #2 In order to get to the heart of the problem, you have to entirely scrape away at the old layers.


Lesson # 3 Ask for help.


Lesson # 4 Don't be afraid to start over.


Lesson # 5 When all else fails read the directions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I believe you were really trying to impress the shirtless hottie working in your driveway.